Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Healthcare in Singapore

With the recent fuss about reforming health care systems in the US, I started to wonder, what exactly makes up the health care system in Singapore? Yeah, we all know, because we hear from people, that it's super efficient, super successful and great financing schemes. But do you really know how is works? Shame on you, Singaporeans.

So, tell me the difference between Medifund, Medishield, Eldershield and Medisave.
You can check http://www.watsonwyatt.com/europe/pubs/healthcare/render2.asp?ID=13850 to find out.

I also went to Wikipedia to check out "Health care in Singapore". [No actually, I first Yahoo-ed it, which led to Wikipedia. And yes, I'm so geeky.] Some sentences which are strange and that I don't agree with:

1. Singapore's system uses a combination of compulsory savings from payroll deductions (funded by both employers and workers) a nationalized catastrophic health insurance plan...(italics my own)

How in the world is our health insurance plan a catastrophic one???

2. Singapore's medical facilities are among the finest in the world, with well qualified doctors and dentists, many trained overseas. (Once again, italics my own)

It is, yes it is, implied here that doctors trained overseas are better. Excuse me, to the person who wrote that article, a lot of so-called 'trained-overseas' doctors went overseas because they couldn't get into our local med school in the first place. Yes, NUS med school is that good. And yeah of course, there are exceptions la, some singaporeans have gone to Ivy league med schools.
After reading all that I read, I felt some pride in our nation. God has really blessed Singapore much.